The Public Defender is an elected official who has a constitutional duty to provide legal representation to persons in jeopardy of losing their liberty who cannot afford to hire a private attorney.
Position Type: Full time
- Master’s degree in mental health/social service/counseling discipline preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in mental health/counseling discipline plus experience in Social Work/Mental Health/Social Service fieldwork preferred.
- Experience with Capital case mitigation a plus.
- Excellent verbal, computer, and communication skills required.
- Familiarity with school system, special needs population, and with accessing community programs and social service related providers preferred.
- Bilingual skills: English/Spanish and/or English/Creole preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Must be able to prepare clear, accurate, and comprehensive reports containing findings, conclusions, and/or recommendations.
- Clean driving record, valid Florida Driver’s License and proof of automobile insurance.
- Reliable vehicle, as travel is required.
How to Apply
Your application package must include the job application, resume and required supporting documents. Please include information to support your qualifications for this position. Failure to provide required documentation information may result in rejection of your application.
How You Will be Evaluated
Your submitted application package will be reviewed to determine compliance with application requirements, level of position-relevant work experience, education and training.
After your application package has been reviewed, you may be required to participate in a selection interview. Non-local candidates may be interviewed initially via Skype or other electronic means.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority. Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
Veterans are encouraged to apply.