The Public Defender is an elected official who has a constitutional duty to provide legal representation to persons in jeopardy of losing their life or liberty who cannot afford to hire a private attorney. Our office employs nearly 200 lawyers plus investigators, mitigation specialists, secretaries, and paralegals to assist with the more than 70,000 cases we handle each year. We recruit locally and nationally with just one goal in mind: Putting together a diverse team of outstanding men and women from all racial and ethnic backgrounds who are able to provide high quality representation to our clients.
Position Type: Full time, entry-level assistant public defender position
- preparing each case efficiently and expeditiously;
- advising and counseling each client;
- establishing and maintaining a professional relationship with each client;
- effective and efficient use of investigators, mitigation and placement specialists and other support staff;
- seeking assistance from experts appropriate to the case;
- demonstrating professional demeanor;
- exercising sound judgment to achieve desired results; and,
- assisting the Public Defender in carrying out his responsibilities.
- law school graduates must be licensed to practice law in the State of Florida;
- 3L applicants must successfully complete prior to graduation a law school clinic or externship in which applicant was authorized to provide direct representation in litigation to individuals or entities for academic credit;
- excellent verbal, computer, and communication skills;
- demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely;
- bilingual skills: English/Spanish and/or English/Creole helpful but not required;
- participation in a law school trial advocacy course or litigation skills program preferred;
- willingness to interview clients in jails and in juvenile detention facilities; and,
- valid Florida Driver’s License, proof of automobile insurance and reliable vehicle, as travel is required.
How to Apply
Complete an Application for Employment and submit your resume, cover letter and writing sample, all in PDF format, to email@example.com. Please include information in your cover letter to support your qualifications for this position.
Due to the volume of applications, please do not call or make inquiries via email
How You Will be Evaluated
Salary and Benefits
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority. Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
Veterans are encouraged to apply.