The Law Offices of Carlos J. Martinez, Miami Dade Public Defender, Circuit 11, is accepting applications for a full-time Capital Mitigation Specialist in state capital cases. The Mitigation Specialist works with an in-house team of experienced attorneys and fact investigators. Primary responsibilities are to conduct comprehensive client and family biopsychosocial histories and identify mitigation themes for settlement and/or the penalty phase of capital cases. Experience in field/ community and jail settings is required.
Position Type: Full time
A bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, sociology, or a related field is preferred. A Master’s Degree in a related field is a plus. The candidate must have an educational background and experience in working with clients with various needs such as mental health, substance, developmental, Intellectual Disability, and trauma. He/she must be able to work within a team setting, follow through on assigned requests, and be able to organize and prioritize workload to manage cases efficiently. Extensive documentation of work product is required.
Applicants must have a clean driving record, valid Florida Driver’s License and proof of automobile insurance. English/Spanish and/or English/Creole preferred.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Identifying and interviewing witnesses
- Identifying, collecting, reviewing/summarizing records
- Identifying and developing mitigation themes in cases
- Preparing proffers, chronologies, and memos related to the life history of the client
- Assisting attorneys in identifying and working with expert witnesses
- Participation in case staffing’s with team
How to Apply
Complete an Application for Employment and submit your resume and writing sample, all in PDF format, to email@example.com.
Failure to provide required documentation information may result in rejection of your application.
How Your Application Will Be Evaluated
Your submitted application package will be reviewed to determine compliance with application requirements, level of position-relevant work experience, education and training.
After your application package has been reviewed, you may be required to participate in a selection interview. Non-local candidates may be interviewed initially via Skype or other electronic means.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is commensurate with experience;
- State Group Insurance coverage options, including health, life, dental, vision, and other supplemental insurance options;
- Retirement plan options, including employer contributions;
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays;
- Free tuition for college course on a space available basis.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace. Applicants will be considered irrespective of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or political affiliation.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or the People First Service Center (1-877-562-7287). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
Veterans are encouraged to apply.